Tuesday 10 December 2013

My Beauty Diary Hyaluronic Acid Moisturizing Mask Review



Today I'm going to be reviewing the My Beauty Diary Hyaluronic Acid Moisturizing Mask! The first time I bought this was actually accidentally since I mistook it for the Arbutin-A mask (I need to learn how to read things). At first I was disappointed since I got the wrong mask. I had been using a mask really similar to this, the only difference being that the other one had a cleaner ingredients list, it fit better, and was about 5x more expensive. When I ran out, I decided to try these out and I was pleasantly surprised!

I'm definitely not new to MBD masks. In fact, they used to be my favourite mask brand until I branched out and found other masks. I actually forgot how good they were, and while they're no longer my #1, I'd say they're still in my top 3 favourite mask brands, and the quality for the price can't be beat.



Something slightly disappointing about this mask is the fact that the key ingredient, Hyaluronic Acid (AKA Sodium Hyaluronate) is quite far down on the ingredient list, meaning it's quite low in concentration. However, there are still a lot of good ingredients located near the top of the ingredient list, such as aloe juice, pineapple extract, marshmallow root extract which is known to sooth the skin, and many more. This mask also is fragranced, which can be irritating. However, I don't find that the ingredients list affects how the mask works, because it does work really well.


MBD is quite famous for soaking their masks in quite a lot of serum/essence, and this mask is no exception. As you can see from the picture above, there's 23mL in each mask. For reference, the average foundation contains 30mL of product, or 1oz. So take a look at your foundation, that's roughly how much essence is in just one mask. 


The packaging of the mask itself is quite cute! i love the pale raindrop things and the lace detail at the bottom.


The back of the mask shows the ingredients in English and Chinese. I think the sticker on the back of the box was placed by the shipping company, so if you see this in stores it might not have the ingredients list in English on the box which is kind of annoying, but it will have it on the mask. I think the top explains how to use the mask in Chinese, however it is not translated into English. I don't think this is a huge issue though since it's pretty self-explanatory.


This is how the mask packet looks when you open it.


It's folded up neatly with a plastic layer covering one side of it. Not a very good explanation, but you'll see in another picture later.


This is how it looks when you unfold it! A little scary looking honestly. But as you can see there's 3 incisions at the bottom of the mask to make sure it can fit a variety of people's face shapes.

This pic cracks me up so much OMG
Anyways, you can see the plastic covering better here. (i look dumb because the plastic part was weighing the mask down and it was falling off, so i just took the picture quickly)


And here's how it looks once you peel the plastic part off. As you can see, it fits pretty well and it's pretty transparent. (actually a little too transparent, you can see too many flaws showing through. smh) but I think the transparency is good, especially if you're on an airplane and want to prevent your skin from drying out. Since it's quite see-through, people walking in the aisle probably won't even notice you're wearing it. One problem though (which won't be a problem for most people using this) is that it fits weirdly around my eyes because my nose bridge is so fucking huge. However, if you have a normal sized nose you shouldn't have this problem.

So overall, I would give this mask a 4.5/5 because it's effective and doesn't break me out. Also, the mask fits pretty well and it's translucent. You can feel that the mask is high quality despite the affordable price. .5 of a point taken off because of the addition of a synthetic fragrance which isn't good for your skin at all. I would recommend this to pretty much anyone with any skin type except for super, super, super sensitive skin (because of the fragrance.) My skin type is combo and it doesn't make me oily at all (at least not more than usual.) So if you're looking for sheet masks to try, definitely check this out!

No comments:

Post a Comment